Craft Based Resource Centre for Natural Fibre Craft
Screw pine weaving of mats is one of the oldest craft practiced by the women in Kerala. From the year 2000 onwards, KIDS gives its prime importance on Natural Fibre Sector. Research and Development Department under KIDS studied the potential on the locally available natural fibre namely Screw-pine and Water Hyacinth. KIDS has successfully implemented various income generation project for utilizing the potential part of these fibres and thereby introduce a novel income generation activity to the SHG- Kudumbhashree members under the operational area of KIDS. The importance of Screw-pine and Water Hyacinth and how these potential fibers can be transformed into daily income is elaborated below:-
In 2009, KIDS was awarded a cluster project for the enhancement of screw pine craft in Kodungallur by the office of the Development Commission (in Handicrafts), the Government of India, and the Ministry of Textiles. The development of this cluster of women that are screw pine artisans is considered a model for the entire country. In recognition of the remarkable achievements of this cluster, KIDS has been awarded a “Natural Resource Centre” for natural fibre craft. This resource centre is part of the eleventh Five-Year Plan of India; there is no board or corporation for the promotion of the wide variety of natural fibres of the country. The Government of India considers this resource centre the single window for the issues faced by thousands of poor rural artisans in India. In addition, the year 2009 was declared the International Year for Natural Fibres by the United Nations. In 2014, KIDS’ Natural Fibre Centre has been selected as the Training Centre for Natural Fibre by Kudumbashree Mission.
Dyeing and Drying Yard
For any industry, hygienic conditions for the workers is a must. In our case, most hygienic dyeing and drying facilities are created for the rural artisan women who work in the natural fibre sector. These SHG women are showing meticulous capacity in performing dyeing using dyes.
Effluent Treatment Plant
KIDS Kottapuram is facilitating for the use of permitted dyes for dyeing. Dyes which are permitted in Western Europe and United states is mandatory for doing any kind of production, which is oriented towards export. Moreover the water after dyeing which is called ‘effluent water’ needs to be treated as per the international criteria in order to maintain environmental security. The water after dyeing is passed into a primary collection tank. This water is continuously agitated and made to undergo primary, secondary and tertiary treatment. Then the treated water is passed through a sand filter and charcoal filter and finally it will be led to undergo the most sophisticated processes of Reverse Osmosis (RO) in which RO membranes are imported from United States. The water after reverse osmosis if necessary can also be used for dyeing so that water can be completely recycled. This initiative explicitly shows the commitment of KIDS towards environmental protection and also how far an industry can run in the responsible manner.
The objective of the Resource Centre
To create a institutional mechanism and to provide single window solution in an identified craft for comprehensives handholding in the following aspects:-
- Technical & Technological information.
- Market Intelligence
- Enterprise Development
- Micro Finance activity.
- Reporting/Monitoring evaluation/Experience share.
- Product information
- Raw material information
- Cluster/producer information
The Resource centre will have the following resource
- Books, journal & reports on the craft.
- Report & details of design prototypes & design development workshops.
- Credit availability information & guidance.
- Documents on tools & technology availability.
- Documents on process involved in production of craft practiced throughout the country
- Export Documentation & other aspects of export procedure
- Data base for local & international market demands.
- List of exporter.
- List of Buyers (Local & Overseas).
- List of consultants for guidance on technology. Production and marketing issue.
- List of National and State Awardees
- Details of Raw Material/availability, their proportion, etc.
The resource centre will undertake the following activities:
- Tranining & Demonstration of best practices available.
- Craft data base building & skill mapping of the craft.
- Networking with similar organizations.
- Documentation and dissemination of best practices
- Creation of technology bank through experts and institutions.
- Handhold technology production & marketing issues.
- Reporting and evaluation of programmes being implemented.